The Flying Runner has created a new marathon pacing calculator below, which enables you to build your own pacing profile in a more user-friendly way than many of the existing tools on the internet, and you can output your own pacing band from your personalised pacing.
Your pacing band:
- Most standard pacing bands simply chop up your target time into equal mile divisions. We’ve developed something more flexible for you.
- You can create a pacing band based on a completely personalised pacing strategy.
- The calculator enables you to input a target time and you can choose to look at how you might pace your race with even splits, a positive split, negative split, and make adjustments to any particular mile splits wherever you like.
- So for example if you’re running a marathon with a big hill half way through, you can allow for that by using the +15 / -15 second toggles on the relevant mile splits.
- Then you can create your own personalised pacing band to wear during the race – simple!
And if you want to, you can even start from the ARU research data to select a pacing profile based on a group of runners similar to you in experience and age, who you think paced their race well. You can view and tweak the data as your own pacing plan. You might not like the idea of using existing real data, and we’re not necessarily recommending this as an approach – our aim is simply to equip you to use the data in whatever way you like.